Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Love

Went to a marriage seminar yesterday given by Epic Life Church.  Although there was a ton of useful information about relationships in general, I don’t know if I agree fully on their opinions of love.  I have never had a Christ centered relationship with a girl, so I couldn’t speak on it with authority, but I have had long term relationships, and I have been in love, very much.

I understand that God IS love and that love in its truest form (Agape) is unconditional and bigger than I can imagine.  The love that I have experienced (Eros) has felt plenty overwhelming at times to me, and still lingers for a couple people years later.  I don’t want to have residual feelings for these women whom I don’t even have any contact with now.  We have all moved on with our lives.  My question is, if that love isn’t real, and is supposed to die after two years, then why do I still carry these emotions?

I also understand now that if you allow yourself to take your relationships beyond a certain point, that you are imprinting that person forever into you.  Done.   Now, no matter where you go, what you do, for the rest of your life, you will carry that person around in your head forever.  What you don’t have any control over is when this person will suddenly appear in your mind.  During an intimate moment with your new spouse, in the middle of a Sunday church service, etc…

I don’t know.  I will look for the answers in the Bible.  I am excited by the topic and I am thankful for the talk.  I am a pretty emotional person, though I try not to inflict them so much on others.  And I am selfish.  I want love.  From the awkward first few months to the getting to know you deep conversations, to the can’t imagine life without you.  I want to share my life with someone who truly understands me, and who I can grow alongside, who will lift me up as I lift her.  I want to give my life to a God and a girl who I love so completely and passionately that it oozes out my pores.

You can’t help but wonder if that person is out there right now.  Is it someone I already know?  If so, can she really see the true me?  Am I the example right now that I want to be for God, for the church?  Am I able to see her for who she truly is?  Am I open to the Lords direction, His will in this?  When I look around and see my friends, guys and girls, I wonder who God will choose for them.  I can hardly wait to meet Dave’s wife.  If Dave is that important in my life and such a dear friend, then his wife will truly be someone special, you know?

It’s all so exciting and can’t ever happen fast enough, so in the mean time, sweet wife, whoever you are, I already love you, you bring me so much joy just knowing you’re out there waiting for me.  I promise to be true, to love, honor and cherish you, never to stop pursuing you, to grow in my walk with Christ so that I can be strong for you.  I will pray for you daily, for your relationship with Christ, for your health and wellbeing, for your family – present and future, for your children whom you’ve yet to meet. 


1 comment:

  1. WOW! That whole post echoes my thoughts exactly.

    ReplyDelete